The Successful Landlord

The Successful Landlord is an invaluable handbook for landlords in Massachusetts. For a $44.00 tax deductible donation we will mail you the handbook today!

PDF Print


The Housing Counseling program works to prevent homelessness and to promote safe, stable and affordable housing. Services include counseling, education, and mediation regarding landlord/tenant rights and responsibilities. Homelessness prevention and residential stabilization services include ongoing case management, referrals to additional community services and emergency payments for rental and utility arrearages.

One of the funding programs available is RAFT (Residential Assistance for Families in Transition) which is a Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) funded homelessness prevention program. RAFT provides short-term financial assistance to low-income families who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

United WayThrough funding from the United Way, the Housing Counseling program offers community trainings on tenant’s rights and responsibilities. Also, in collaboration with the NeighborWorks HomeOwnership Center of Central MA, we provide trainings on landlord rights and responsibilities.

Clients can access our services during our walk-in hours:

  • Monday: 1 - 3:30 pm
  • Tuesday: 1 - 3:30 pm
  • Wednesday: 9 - 11 am
  • Thursday: 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm
  • Friday: NONE

What to expect during walk in hours?

Clients will be seen on a first come first served basis, and will meet in person with one of our Housing Counseling counselors.

What documents will you need?

Below is the list of items needed in order to be screened. *Please note, having items does not guarantee eligibility.*

  • Proof of a housing crisis, for example: 14 or 30 day notice, summons & complaint, court judgment, “asked to leave” letter with a given date when they need to leave, fire report, building condemnation papers, utility termination notice, mortgage default letter, etc.
  • Income verification: All that apply to your household, including: 
  • Paystubs (weekly- last 4 paystubs, biweekly- last 2 paystubs), Child support printout, SSI printout, unemployment printout, DTA benefit printout, hired letter. *You must provide last 30 days’ worth of household income. Verifications must be dated within the past 30 days.*
  • SNAP (Food Stamps) verification, if applicable
  • Birth certificates and social security cards for everyone in household
  • Picture identification cards. for anyone over the age of 18


CMHA provides housing counseling, information, and referral services to landlords and tenants. CMHA provides no legal advice. If legal advice is needed, please contact an attorney.



WALK photography by Joe Santa Maria - Kill the Ball Media